“Everybody’s working for the weekend” so the saying goes, right? I don’t know many people who disagree with the age-old classic from the 80’s finest band Loverboy. Who doesn’t love their weekends, especially when the weather is nice?
Vacation time and weekends are of course awesome. But I think there is something to be said about ensuring that your culture at work has fun elements to it. Now what I’m not saying is that every work day should be one big party; that would be counterproductive and no one would ever accomplish anything. But what I am saying is that work doesn’t always have to be stressful, tense, and taxing.
At Davis, we’ve managed to create a culture that grinds through the workweek, but also includes some awesome fun stuff. Without any fun, your staff will likely become overworked, overstressed, and resentful. To mitigate that, we have created a Corporate Culture Officers team (CCO’s for short). As a CCO, our mission is to create multiple events every month on a fairly small budget that keeps people engaged and happy at the office.
Here are the top five fun things we do at Davis that keeps everyone running on all cylinders.
- Softball Team – This is our second year with a coed softball team, which plays once a week. It’s a great way to relieve stress, bond with coworkers and be competitive outside of work.
- Friday Theme Days – Nearly every Friday we come up with a fun theme for the day. Some examples include Patriot’s Day, Red Sox Day, Boston Strong Day, and Monochromatic Color Day. We encourage people to wear their coolest gear to match the theme.
- Easter Egg Hunt – What kid didn’t love searching for eggs on Easter? Well we brought it to Davis, and hid cash, small prizes, and even tickets to leave early and come in late in those eggs. It was a big hit!
- Halloween Party – Halloween is a “scream” at Davis. We have a costume contest, scavenger hunt, potluck lunch (or sometimes Chinese food!), and spooky themed music. It’s quite the event!
- Bean Bag Toss Tournament – Just like March Madness with brackets and all the fanfare, we have multiple Bean Bag Toss Tournaments throughout the year. Winners always get a fancy prize, and it’s a fun way to connect with your colleagues.
Keeping things fun is a critical component of keeping employees engaged and happy in the workplace. What does your office do for fun?