As we speed in to the holiday season, this is also a very busy season for Open Enrollment for Benefits! Many companies will be asking you to make elections about what healthcare coverage you would like for 2020. Although Medical Coverage is something that is often in the news, especially with the upcoming 2020 elections, it is a minefield of choices, and a complicated scene that can be difficult to understand and even tougher to navigate.
So here are a few tips and tricks to help you through your open enrollment period – and lead you on the way to becoming an intelligent HealthCare Consumer:
- Go to your Company Offered Open Enrollment Meeting – they can be really boring, but they can also help to provide you with some crucial information (maybe pop in a piece of mint gum and bring a cup of coffee with you to stay alert).
- Read through any summary materials they offer to you and check out the scenarios at the back of the Summary of Benefits & Coverage – it may give you some incite into a medical problem you may face and what the cost could be to you.
- Ask for 1:1 time with your company’s benefits representative. They can help guide you in the direction of the plan that is the right fit for you (or you and your family)
- Ask about any programs your company offers, any money they seed towards FSA or HSA Funds, reimbursement programs they run, or Apps that they might be involved in that could help to save you money.
- Never be afraid to ask a clarifying question – if you are confused, the likelihood that someone else in the room is confused too is extremely high – Medical Coverage is not a language that most people speak.
Take the time to understand what’s being offered to you – it can save you hundreds of dollars! Have confidence, ask questions, and before you know it, you’ll be a benefits expert!