As we approach the middle of March, now is a great time to do some Spring cleaning and reorganizing. Studies say, “A clean desk will help your mind focus on order and expectations.” Also, after doing a bit of research on this topic, it seems as though a messy desk puts yourself at risk to be judged by your colleagues. UT-OH! So, let’s clean it up folks. Here are 5 ways to keep yourself and your desk organized.
1. Google Docs – Not only does this handy tool save trees, but will keep you and your team organized. Google Docs allows you to make updates and changes to a file, and those changes are displayed in real time to your teammates. IMPRESSIVE.
2. Lysol Wipes – Use them! These wipes will help you demolish dust bunnies, germs and make your desk smell like lemons. Also they are an office hit so be prepared to share.
3. Outlook, or Google Calendar – No need for the old fashion desk calendar that takes up about half your desk. Utilize your electronic calendar that syncs to your smart phone! How cool, right? You can also color code your events flagging them by priority or categories.
4. Set a reminder to clean your desk – Make a reoccurring event to clean your desk maybe every Friday afternoon. That way you start every week with a clean desk.
5. Hooks and tacks – Get bags and jackets off the floor and hang them up. Would you throw your jacket on the ground at your house? Well I hope not, so don’t do it at work. Also hang up important lists or documents to eliminate piles but don’t overdo it!
Implement these 5 easy steps and you’ll be amazed at how much more organized and productive your work days will be. It worked for me!