It’s that time of the year when we are ready to kick our New Year’s resolutions into gear, or to the curb. Losing weight, a healthier lifestyle, no more binging on pizza – whatever healthy may look like for you, exercise is often a top priority. If you are lucky enough to have a gym at your office, I have so kindly compiled a list of pros and cons for your viewing pleasure.
- It’s good for you. It is 2014; I do not need to explain the benefits of exercise for your body and mind.
- It’s free! It’s free! It’s free! Did I mention it is free?
- Short commute. One flight of stairs is a lot more practical than driving to your local gym.
- Snack away. You don’t have to feel bad when you have your 2:30pm chocolate pick me up.
- Break up your day. A colleague of mine said she came back “rejuvenated” and “refreshed” after working out at lunch. Who doesn’t want to be re-born again with the energy and strength of an Ox? This sleepy baby does.
- Grab a workout buddy. A workout buddy is very close and easy to find. Also you can motivate each other!
- Drink away. You don’t have to feel bad when you have your 7pm wine pick me up. Just me?
- Awkward run-ins. The likelihood of knowing someone is very high. You probably don’t want to get into a polite conversation about the weather or talk shop while battling an asthma attack on the elliptical.
- Can I wear an invisibility cloak? I am a sweaty and formidable beast and I don’t want you to see me. Please avert your eyes.
- I DO NOT WANT TO GET READY AGAIN. I am sorry but men 100% have an unfair advantage in the getting ready department. You don’t want to go back to work a frizzy and hot mess, and may not have enough time to really get ready.
- Inconvenience. Lugging your gym bag full of the essentials. This may just be a towel for you. Or it could be the whole inside of Target.
- Late nights. Many of us work late, so the last thing we want to do is stay for another hour to exercise.
However you frame it, having a gym available to you at the office is a gift. Whether you go after work or during your lunch break, it is something that should certainly be taken advantage of. Make it a routine part of your work week and it certainly will be worth it! Hopefully, we won’t run into each other there…