Product Support Specialist
Product Support Specialist
Product Support Specialist:
The Product Support Specialist requires providing product support to customers, engineers, end users, and sales teams to help promote the product line. A general understanding of thermoplastic materials, properties, manufacturing processes, and product attributes is necessary. Responsible for providing engineering support for the proper selection, application, and limitations of products produced. Requires a thorough understanding of quality control test requirements and industry standards applicable to the product line.
This position reports directly to the Vice President of Technical Services and will receive direction from the Technical Services Manager or Managing Director (President) in the absence of or in conjunction with the Vice President of Technical Services. The primary responsibility of the Technical Support Specialist is to safely and efficiently perform high-quality technical service functions.
- Ability to understand and explain technical concepts regarding the application of products manufactured
- Understanding of codes and standards related to products manufactured
- Provide accurate and timely responses to customer inquiries regarding a proper application, installation, and engineering related topics pertaining to the use of client products
- Understanding of code requirements and installation practices necessary to properly promote the use of plastic piping products
- Conduct product training, technical writing, and detailed product failure evaluations and reports.
- Provide product training to the engineering community, contractors, distributors, outside sales and customer service regarding client products
- Document, track and process field failure complaints. Interface with sales, product development, engineering, quality control, and other departments as needed for complaint resolution and other product related projects.
- Field failure analysis – understanding and use of fundamental engineering principles and fracture mechanics to perform basic failure analysis on a product to determine the root cause
- Prepare technical reports detailing inspection results, subsequent recommendations, and conclusions.
- Diplomatically communicate findings to customers and end users
- Participation in key industry organizations as needed
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks and participating in professional societies
- Ability and willingness for up to 20% domestic travel: Trade Shows or clients if needed
- High School Diploma or equivalent is required.
- Mechanically inclined with proven troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Ability to apply a range of engineering fundamentals to understand and solve problems
- Well-developed communication and presentation skills (written and verbal)
- Excellent organizational and planning skills with the ability to manage multiple projects effectively
- Strong customer service skills with the ability to influence external stakeholders
- Computer efficiency required (proficient in MS Office- i.e. Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Additional post-secondary education is a preferred (trade school/college); B.S. degree in Plastics, Chemical, or Mechanical Engineering is preferred and considered an asset, but not required.
- Experience in the building trades industry, particularly plumbing, is preferred and considered an asset.
- Background in quality control testing, ISO 9001 certification, and/or experience with regulatory agencies and standards organizations is an asset. Education and/or experience in piping systems, including fluid mechanics, is strongly preferred and considered an asset.