We are currently searching for a Tooling Engineer to join a large manufacturing company in Jasper, GA. The main duties of the Tooling Engineer are to facilitate the fabrication of transfer molding tools and auxiliary equipment to deliver world class rubber products on time and on budget, and to support manufacturing operations. This position will include conceptual design of tooling, project management of tooling fabrication, implementation of tooling into the manufacturing processes, and maintenance of the tooling for its life cycle.
Responsibilities of the Tooling Engineer:
- Ensure all tooling reliably produces parts that meet print tolerances and capability requirements.
- Resident expert on innovative tooling design capabilities and repair techniques.
- Lead the development of tooling maintenance best practices and standards.
- Facilitate tool design reviews and make recommendations on tooling projects to ensure manufacturability, efficiency, and cost-savings.
- Monitor project schedules with tooling suppliers and ensure that projects are completed on time and according to design.
- Provide project status and updates to management on a periodic basis.
- Implement tooling modifications and improvements, to achieve continual improvement and to support Quality and Operations.
- Maintain and control internal part design documentation and drawings.
- Supervise a team of in-house machinists, welders, and tooling technicians.
- Assist Program Managers to prepare internal quotes for new/existing programs and engineering changes.
Requirements of the Tooling Manager:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, BSME Preferred
- 5+ years of relevant manufacturing/engineering experience with design, fabrication, application of molding tools, and supervisory experience is preferred.
- Understanding of Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP), Kaizen, lean manufacturing
- Understanding of manufacturing and mold making
- Ability to develop and present basic training for tool design, use, and maintenance.
- Ability to work hands-on with tooling and equipment.
- Project planning and management experience.
- A proven background working in a manufacturing environment, TS16949 experience is preferred.
- Accuracy and precision oriented.
- Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Basic understanding of dimensioning, tolerance and inspection practices.
- The demonstrated ability to work independently and communicate design and tooling specifications to suppliers, manufacturing, engineering, and customers.
- Proficient in CAD software and solid modeling, SolidWorks preferred.
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel at intermediate level, including data sorting, spreadsheet design, linking, and advanced formulas
- Proficient in project management software
- Knowledge of CNC programming preferred.