Principal Embedded Systems Engineer
Our client located in Bedford, MA is looking for a Principal Embedded Systems Engineer to join their team.
You will be hands on and technically contribute, as well as manage a small team through the design, development, verification, and validation of embedded systems (hardware and software) that drive the products.
- Technically contribute and is responsible for design, development, implementation, and analysis of software for embedded biomechanical products and systems.
- Manages day-to-day activities of the Embedded Systems team (Electrical Engineering and Firmware Engineering); in support of new and existing products.
- Assists in the development of software development plans, test protocols and schedules to ensure high quality and on-time delivery.
- May retain and manage external consultants and contractors to perform necessary work.
- Educate and mentor development staff, and provide technical leadership. Provide expert consultation in one or more areas for the design, development and implementation of technical products and systems.
- Ensure compliance with internal Risk Management Procedures as outlined in SOP-004, Design Control/Stage-Gate Procedures as outlined in SOP-007.
- Work closely with R&D Management to develop engineering project plans (including work breakdown analyses, resource allocation, schedules, project cost estimates, risk analyses) and to regularly track progress against plans.
- Own the definition of embedded hardware architecture and document in accordance with applicable standards.
- Own the definition of software/firmware architecture and document that architecture in accordance with international standards, including IEC 62304.
- In all technical/design reviews work to ensure that embedded implementations align with the overall technology architecture and strategic technical direction.
- Recommend alterations and enhancements to improve quality of products and/or procedures.
- Requires a Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent and at least 15 years of experience in the field or in a related area.
- Demonstrates expertise in a variety of the field's concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Provides consultation on complex projects and is considered to be the top level contributor/specialist.
- A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
- Experience coding in C for embedded systems with a variety of source code control systems and embedded software development tools.
- Experience with portable battery operated devices; working knowledge of Python; Intimate knowledge of dsPIC processors; and MatLab experience.
- Demonstrated hardware debugging skills.
- Demonstrated familiarity with inter-processor communications.
- Exposure to automated and unit testing a plus.
- Exposure to development of Apps (Android or iOS) and web/database applications.