Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Generate plans and processes to implement solutions to engineering problems that address all program technical, cost and schedule.
- Manage a technical team in executing the program plan to ensure all work is completed within cost and schedule, by delegating work assignments, providing effective coaching and technical guidance as necessary.
- Develop department goals and objectives that align with those of the company.
- Manage employees performance, development and training plan.
- Implement and manage a risk management process in support of program goals and company business objectives.
- Prepare proposals and act as principal investigator and/or program manager on engineering projects.
- Provide technical briefings and design reviews to management and customers; submit periodic progress reports.
- Assist in the preparation of program cost and schedule planning and departmental manpower planning budgets.
- Prepare and implement departmental training plans consistent with company business objectives.
- Manage other departments for a short-term duration, as required.
- Manage vendor statement of work (SOW) deliverables.
- Evaluate, technically and financially, existing and future technologies to support business profitability.
- Employ lean engineering principles.
- Interface with contacts in government and in industry to develop new projects, programs; create and nurture technical collaborations in support of new business development. Interface with the legal department on patents, infringements, non-disclosure agreement. Perform accident investigations per the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) guidelines and specifications, as assigned.
- Act as an FAA Designated Engineering Representative (DER) as directed by company management in accordance with FAA order 8110.37.
- Broad knowledge of an advanced and technically specialized field such as avionics. Bachelor's degree in a related engineering field, with 1 to 2 years graduate level work leading to a Master's degree or equivalent learning experience.
- 10 to 13 years of progressive experience in the applicable engineering field, including at least 1 year of supervisory experience.
- Ability to communicate with all levels of management, customers and subcontractors.
- Ability to obtain/maintain security clearance, as required.