Our client located in Hingham, MA is looking for a Controls Engineer to join their team on a direct hire basis.
The Controls Engineer is responsible for producing and overseeing the implementation of controls and process engineering designs for an engineering and manufacturing company that produces systems for thin film deposition, vacuum processes, and thermal vacuum system applications.
- Develop electric controls design plans by researching, analyzing, selecting, and applying electric controls engineering concepts, approaches, techniques, and criteria including power generation, control systems, panel layouts, junction boxes, distributed control systems, robotics, circuitry, and Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs); adapting and modifying electric controls engineering options; developing and evaluating new electric controls engineering architectures and algorithms; preparing layout drawings, collaborating with related engineering design teams; evaluating components, materials and suppliers; identifying and resolving design integration/interface issues; determining and establishing design specifications and safety standards.
- Develop process functional design specifications that detail control strategy and sequence of operations.
- Create PLC and HMI software programs. Implement software and perform functional tests on equipment.
- Generate wiring schematics, PLC I/O count, and calculate wiring sizes to operate pumping systems, thermal systems, process equipment.
- Generate Bill of Materials including PLC's, wiring, fuses, contactors, cabinets, etc.
- Implement electric controls design by providing installation, start-up, and technical support; troubleshooting and resolving production problems related to electric controls engineering design. Regular travel, both in the United States and abroad, is required.
- Document engineering design by recording electric controls engineering design features, functions, operational requirements, and warnings; specifying operational training; detailing safety and support requirements and operating procedures.
- Maintain engineering design team accomplishments by coordinating actions; obtaining expert input; reviewing open issues and action items; contributing information and electric controls engineering analysis to team meetings and reports; guiding technicians.
- Engineering degree
- 2 – 10+ years of related experience
- Proven programming skills with PLC controllers (Allen Bradley, GE)
- Demonstrable HMI programming experience (AB Factory Talk, Wonderware, Labview is a plus)
- Excellent project management skills and ability to multi-task
- Excellent troubleshooting skills with software and hardware
- Extensive knowledge of the National Electrical Code (NEC) as it relates to power distribution systems, including load coordination studies, preventative maintenance, and circuit analysis
- Strong communication skills and ability to work effectively with customers and co-workers
- Experience with AutoCAD, Excel, and other Windows-based software