Laboratory Assistant 1
Laboratory Assistant 1
3+ month contract
- Performs pre-analytical tasks associated with laboratory testing under direct supervision.
- Receives specimens delivered by FedEx and other courier services. Opens packages, removes contents and places in appropriate sort bin by time of collection.
- Opens patient sample bags and reviews requisition and sample tubes for patient name, second ID match, and other relevant information
- Assigns accession number and labels requisition and tube(s).
- Enters sample collection information and patient demographic information into the Orchard Harvest LIS.
- Releases stored orders in Lab Information System (LIS) to enable the accession numbers to flow through the laboratory’s pre testing and testing functions
- Prepares and labels reagents when first opened.
- Performs daily equipment QC/daily equipment monitoring.
- Performs inventory and restocks laboratory supplies.
- Scans laboratory requisitions into the Orchard Harvest LIS.
- Handles special projects and tasks assigned by the Supervisor
- Follows all company safety policies & other safety precautions within work area.
- Regular attendance and timeliness is essential
- Other duties as assigned by the Processing Supervisor
- Laboratory Assistants must meet one of the following education/experience requirements: Requires a BS degree in a biological, chemical, or physical science, or an AS degree in a biological, chemical, or physical science that meets specific science requirements: 6 semester hours of chemistry and 6 semester hours of biology, and one full year of full-time clinical laboratory work experience.
- Must be detail oriented, with ability to work independently and collaborate as part of a team.
- Work requires compliance with strict safety protocols regarding work with reagents, laboratory equipment, and biological specimens.
- Work requires the analytical skills to collect information from diverse sources and solve problems.
- Work requires the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Work requires familiarity with computers; specifically use of Microsoft™ Windows and Microsoft Office software.
We receive samples on Sundays and Mondays from our HELP customers. We have couriers pick up these samples and have them expedited here and basically promise them that no matter when they draw, we can accept their samples. That being the case, all LA 1’s must work a weekend shift. They are on the schedule for a weekend shift with another LA I. So, with 20+ lab assistants, each LA would only work a weekend once every 2-3 months. When they work the weekend, they will have 2 days off the following week. This rotation is mandatory, at least until the Norwood lab begins taking these HELP customers on Sundays and Mondays.